Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Hand Olympic observations


I have observed the progress of China for the past 10 years. I remember seeing the digital count down announcing "Only 325 days till the Olympics."

I have seen first hand the amazing - probably unprecedented in the history of the world - transformation of a city here in Beijing.

I have watched as 1.3 billion people set their minds to making a statement to the world.

Now that the Olympics have ended, we all are aware of how one country has marched from a single Gold Medal in Los Angeles in 1984 to 63 Gold Medals in 2008.

China should be justifiably proud.

Last week I happened to be staying at the Grand Stanford Hotel in Hong Kong. Our servers casually mentioned that the eating area would be off limits to guests for 30 minutes as they briefly provided welcome refreshments to some special guests. Those guests included all 63 Gold Medal winners from China and the Olympic committee. I had the opportunity to stand in a receiving line in the lobby at 12:30 that afternoon and cheer and clap as these modern day heroes entered. I was thrilled for China.

I wish I had some interesting story to tell you like how Gua Jing Jing stopped and shared with me personally the thrill of her 3 golds. Or the entire men's gymnastics team stopped to take a photo op. But such would be lying. The security was heavy from the night before. Someone on the internet threated a bomb. If I was not staying there I would not have been within 100 yards. Their itinerary was full and they were quickly ushered to behind closed doors. Why not? This group represents a national treasure. And probably as much collective worth now as the USA national debt.

It is good to see progress celebrated. Now, many young children can watch their television screens and have hope. China is now, too, a "land of opportunity"...for some.

Lest you think I'm being a little syrupy and naive, you should know the work of G4Asia focuses almost exclusively on the rural countryside of China.

Many villages we visit - perhaps half - state we are the first foreigners they remember visiting their home. I have seen poverty. More than I wish I had. I understand vividly the great divide which still exists between the wealthy citizenry and the vast majority of the Chinese.

But that does not alter the reality that China is changing rapidly and for the good.

Today, we visited the Birds Nest. An amazing athletic and event center which will be the sight of many more world events for decades to come. The para Olympics begin in two days. At lunch, in the Crown Plaza within walking distance, we saw many competitors in the public areas.

Signs of accommodations for the physically challenged are everywhere. This, too, is good. China does wish to take a step toward all their citizens.

I see how traffic has been at least temporarily controlled and air quality is visibly superior to even one year ago. This, too, is good. The massive modern buildings constructed in Beijing during the past decades are mind blowing.

I want to think that soon this vision and change will sweep out to the 800 million who still live below the international poverty line.

Years ago, Dr. Han Wenzao challenged me with the words, "If you want to know what is going on in China, come and see." I am coming and I am seeing.

All good people should be celebrating the positive changes in China. The progress of this country is worthy of our support.

Do we have to agree with or like all the policies in China? Of course not. But negativity and uneducated and uniformed criticism does nothing but build walls. Walls curtail communications. Without communications, none of us can help.

Final footnote: We were able to coordinate the efforts of 10 medical professionals in Henan Province this past week. It is amazing to see the good that can be accomplished when we work with our friends here in China-openly, legally, honestly.

Much good going on. What can you do?