Monday, November 12, 2007

NO BUFFALO JUMPING ALLOWED


What you can expect here is a series of articles written from wherever I am involved in ministry at any given time. The best way to introduce myself to you is to refer you to a series of websites. This is the simplest way to introduce the rationale driving the themes.

http://www.grace-church.com/
http://www.graceforasia.org/
http://www.glocalpartners.com/
http://www.leading-turnaround.org/

A quick purusal of these sites will help you understand most postings here will deal with church leadership strategies. Whether in the USA or overseas makes little difference in this glocal age.


I missed the airplane last week in Great Falls, Montana. Missing planes is not ususally a big deal--just catch the next one. But this was Great Falls. It was 7:00 a.m. and groaned when the UA clerk informed me the next flight out was 4:10 that afternoon. I fully intended to be back in Glendora in the office by noon that day. "Oh no, I'm stuck in Great Falls all day!" He responded sympathetically "I know how you feel. I've been stuck here for 11 years."

With no other choice I determined to grab a car and at least enjoy the wide-open spaces. Usually I speed by those little road signs indicating "historic site." But with nowhere in particular to go I actually followed them. I eventually found myself on a gravel road for a distance of 15 miles. At 8:30 a.m. there was no one in site. I followed it to the Uhlm State Park. I turned left, crossed the cattle gaurd and followed the road to the top of the hill.

There were signs posted regarding the prarie dog cities. Quite educational Organized little guys. Then a path. I followed it to what was simply labeled "buffalo jumping site." As you walked through the meadow of grass it seemed as if you could walk over the rolling hills for miles without interuption. But it was deceptive.

Without warning there was a precipice. I mean without warning! If you were running at full speed you would likely be unable to stop before plummeting over the edge. And that is the essence of the buffalo jump.

The natives would stampede a herd of buffalo. They were in the direction of the cliffs by young men in buffalo hides. At the end those brave hunters would find a ledge about 3 feet over the cliff, dive onto it, and crouch as these monstrous animals hurled over their heads to their death below. To assure the harvest less courageous hunters waited with speers and arrows.

As I drove away I reflected on a question I am asked often by church leaders. When is it time to leave?

I'll save the full answer to this for my sequel to "Leading Turnaround Churches." But, I have a new chapter for that book. "NO BUFFALO JUMPING ALLOWED." An ethical shepherd leader cannot lead the congregation towards a cliff with a personal escape plan in place. That places us in the catetgory of shepherds referred to in Ezekiel 34.

If we believe the church we lead must go through major change in order to assure long term effectiveness and health the so be it. Lead the charge. This may involve style of music, preaching, times of services, moving to small groups, or any number of other matters.

The one thing the congregation must believe however is that the one leading the charge is willing to go with them to the end no matter what that might be.

Once a church has been burned by a leader who led them in a change of direction and then deserted them when things did not turn out to be easy or pleasant the buffalo (sheep) which remain will probably never ben inclined to follow a leader again.

So, leaders, next time you begin a stampede please ask yourself. "Do I have an exit strategy in the back of my mind?" If you answer yes then you probably should not lead the charge.
NO BUFFALO JUMPING ALLOWED.