Monday, March 23, 2009

End of the World

Today I traveled with my son Tony to around 8 sights. Our target is always the most unserved areas. I believe all the places we visited admitted "we have never had a foreign guest here before."

I consider it to be quite an honor to be present in such locations. You might wonder where these places are. I wish I could tell you. Frankly I have no real idea.

One location stands out. we traveled along the side of a mountain for close to 30 minutes on a one lane road. Finally descending into a valley. There was a village with a rushing creek through the middle. We parked and crossed a walking bridge to the "main street' of town. Picture Indiana Jones meets Jackie Chan and you have it.

Narrow street with home on both sides. Doors open. Inside the homes were clean but bare. The group we met was nestled in a small building. A bare light bulb dangled over the middle of the room. On small boards sat around 40 people.

Behind the meeting room was another room. It was piled high with bags of husks for fuel and carefully cut sticks stacked to the ceiling.

We were invited to stay for lunch at the local restaurant. A bare concrete floor with a table prepared with the finest foods available. The owner sat with us. He graciously stated it was a privilege to serve the only foreign guests they had ever received.

Finishing our work we left. Reminded once again there are wonderful Christian people all over God's world. One of the hosts who lives in China casually quipped 'this is the end of the world.'

I was reminded of what was written 2000 years ago. Take my good news "to the ends of the world."

This is not literally it but I believe the mandate will and can be literally filled --- if we all work together.