Friday, June 26, 2009

Mourning and Remembering

This week we lost a great person. His legacy is remembered by thousands. Perhaps millions. Those who were touched by his performances were changed for ever. Though unique. Though perhaps not a classic handsome man he was loved and will live on in the lives of all who knew him.

No. He never moonwalked. To my knowledge he did not sing. His performances were anything but gyrations. In fact some might have deemed him boring.

When I was 18 years old and going to school in Portland Oregon I sat under Dr. Roger Congdon for only one semester.
I'm not sure what his IQ was but surely it was off the charts. He was a brilliant.

At a convention in Michigan this week someone mentioned Dr. Congdon had passed away. He evidently continued to speak and teach past his 90th birthday.

As I recall he had 11 children. If I am missing some details please forgive me. I only sat under his teaching for one semester. That was 40 years ago. I was a student. He the professor. Perhaps that is what makes this so meaningful.

The power of a teacher to impact a student 40 years later. A reminder to all professors, preachers, teachers, and coaches. Because you cannot see the impact at the time does not mean there is none.

I won't miss the moonwalking. I do miss solid men and women of character who pour themselves into an apparently inattentive and unappreciative college freshman.